I pressed the 'publish' button on Amazon for the first time on January 27, 2013, sending Balance out into the world to be discovered by anyone looking for a different take on the battle between Heaven and Hell, good and evil. The 12 months since have blown me away, and exceeded every expectation I have ever had as a writer. Rather than write a bunch of words (I'll save those for the novels), here's a bulleted list of highlights:
- Books written: 4 The first three of the Divine Series, and the first of the Tears of Blood Series
- Books sold: ~24,000 This counts KOLL borrows. Most of these have been sold @ $4.99, but I did run a couple of promos at $0.99 that did well (thanks to Kindle Countdown Deals).
- Income: ~$60,000 USD - 10% of which has been or will be donated to charity. I know there's a bit of a taboo on saying how much money you've made, but I've read too many blog posts and articles lately about how much writers actually earn. This income was from 4 books launched over the course of the last year that have been solidly midlist and are exclusive to Kindle. The point - you don't need to be a bestseller to make money.
- Mailing list subscribers: 360 Thank you!
- Top ranking: Balance @ 257, #5 in Urban Fantasy (one fine week in December)
- Total Reviews on Amazon: ~240
- Average Review Rating: 4.4
- Amount learned: Immeasurable
I say thank you a lot, to whoever might be out there reading these words. I've read about too many people who are still writing and still struggling to find an audience to not be grateful every day that my words have resonated with people.
If you're an aspiring self-published author, I hope you'll look at the items above and be energized by my results, not dismayed. All it takes is one book that touches people. One story that leaves an impression. One idea that catches fire.